Every part of a conference requires volunteers filling key roles.
These volunteers are integral and crucial to producing a successful conference.
• Coordinate advertising the conference appropriately with the assistance of District Officers to ensure that as many Toastmasters, (friends and family are also welcome) attend this event.
• Assists in Creating theme directed by the DD ensuring it is consistent with Toastmasters International Branding and ensures its use throughout all educational content and advertising and meets TMI requirements.
2. Oversee the creation, updates, and ongoing function of the online registration system.
3. Attends conference calls and provides registration updates/needs to Conference Committee (per-determined schedule)
4. Provide update reports on registration totals. Provides report(s) to PQD and Conference Committee to track registration numbers (as scheduled or requested)
5. Conference Set-Up: Maintains Registration area to present a Professional image during the conference. Trains Registration workers so they can answer most questions. Ensures supplies are secured during non-operational hours.
6. Oversees and manages the on-site registration process. Is present at the registration table to assist team with walk in registrations and resolve questions concerning registration payments.
7. Arranges for staffing of the registration desk between the times determined by the Conference Chair.
8. Prepares or provides a merged list to enable printing of nametags which are stuffed in holders with meal tickets 48 hours before registration opens. Adds District Officer Ribbons and First Timer Ribbons as appropriate
9. Receive and process all mailed registrations. Receives all registration by mail, makes copies of checks and delivers checks to District Director weekly
10. (report) Provides list of all first time attendees and contact information to first timer chair in advance of conference to enable chair to email first timers a special welcome.
11. (report) Maintains a complete and up to date list of registrations made; passes list of dignitaries to Conference Committee and Trio
12. (report) Provides any statistics relevant to registration that the Conference Committee may require.
13. (report) Registers meal choices for each participant and ensures that the correct types of meal tickets are provided in name badges to correspond with that choice.
14. (report) Coordinates method of recording advance and Walk-in registrations, to include the amount paid, type of registration, meal choices, club and Area affiliation etc.
15. (report) Keeps the PQD and Conference Chairs acting as Facilities Committee Chair aware of the total number of each type of meal that has been paid, including walk in additions.
16. Reconciles registration funds and expenses
First Timers Chair
The coordinator should confirm in advance what is a good time and location for conducting the session. This event should be on the timed itinerary for the conference
Room Hosts Chair
*See: Room Host instructions document- this document explains Room Host duties in detail, contents of packet to be prepared by Room Host Chair and answers logistical questions for the Room Hosts. This document should be distributed to the Room Hosts in advance of conference calls to ensure any questions Room Hosts have are answered in advance.
1. Room Host Chair prepares certificates of appreciation for guest speakers for inclusion in Room Host packets.
2. Ensures that the speaking room is properly set up and has necessary equipment, as described in Conference Agenda. (Venue Chair will establish room set up per Speakers needs)
3. Prepares packets for Room Hosts that include evaluation forms, timing cards, room maps, hand-outs (if used by speaker) and Speaker introductions.
4. Room Host Chair will host at minimum one conference call with the Team of Room Hosts after distributing Room Host responsibilities to ensure Room Hosts understand what they need to do and to answer questions. Conference Chair, Co-Chair, Venue Chair and PQD will attend this conference call (if possible) ensuring ALL questions are answered and the Team understands their role.
5. Room Host Chair will establish a time/place to meet Room Hosts On-Site at the conference location prior to the event starting to provide Room Host Packets and go over the instructions one final time. Conference Chair/Co-Chair will attend this meeting and ensure that everyone understands their role and how their role impacts the speakers.
6. Room Host Chair will collect each packet returned to the registration area, ensure ALL are accounted for and provide them to the Conference Chair at the end of the Educational Sessions.
7. Conference Team will provide a “Thank You” card to each Room Host. Room Host Chair will distribute the cards to their Team.
OPTIONAL NEW ROLE - Volunteer Chair
The Credentials Chair must be appointed by the District Director and should select at least one assistant.
The Credentials Chair should coordinate with the PQD to have ballots laid out, printed, and stapled/perforated.
The Credentials Chair should coordinate with Conference Committee to ensure a good location for the Credentials desk, to ensure that Credentials desk hours are publicized and well-understood, etc.
2. Selects for each contest: 2 counters, 2 timers, and 2 trained and experienced judges from each division represented by a contestant, from suggestions of District Director. *Consult DD for recommendations prior to reaching out to Members.
3. Sends information packages to all Contest Team participants to ensure that they are fully briefed, in writing, on all aspects of their duties. Duties are specifically stated in the Contest Rule Book, ensure any variations are confirmed with all parties of your Team.
4. Obtains biographical information and Certificate of Eligibility forms for all contestants and speech titles from the Tall Tales Speech Contestants. *these are used by Contest Toastmaster
5. Provides all forms required by TMI for that contest to the Chief Judge. (review current Contest Rule Book as needed)
6. Coordinates Contest logistics to ensure all participants receive verbal briefings immediately prior to the contest OR as otherwise planned.
7. Provides finalized Contest Programs to the Conference Committee ( for printing ) by the date determined by Conference Planning Team. The number printed will be determined by Conference registration numbers.
8. Ensures that Conference Committee/Printing Chair confirms print order for the contest programs.
9. Ensures that any specialized equipment (e.g. timing light, stopwatch etc.) required for the contests are provided, appropriately staged & tested.
10. Communicates with Conference Committee to provide any needs or other equipment required.
11. Ensures Sgt @ Arms Team secure doors during contests. It is preferred only one main door is used and signs are placed on other doors directing guests to main door
Silent Auction Chair
2. Silent Auction Team Mingles with auction shoppers, ensure safe friendly & lively environment
3. Sets up / prepares tables, place Bid Sheets at prize locations
4. Maintains a list of all donations w/matching auction bid sheets
5. Secures prize donations during non-conference hours.
6. Ensures Silent Auction tables (area) are fully manned during Conference weekend.
7. At end of auction collects winning bids/documents sales & notifies winners and processes payments
8. Collects money onsite and provides detailed accounting sheet w/funds to District Treasurer and District Governor
9 Draft letter to Clubs seeking donations for Silent Auction – 50 words or less. Short/direct to the point. Draft a colorful flyer for distribution to clubs.
Publicity Chair (optional chair)
Finance Chair (optional chair)
Audio/Visual Chair (Co-Chair)
2. Budget for AV will be prepared/reviewed by PQD and DD within scope of contract.
3. Manages and troubleshoots audio/visual equipment throughout the conference.
4. Ensures along with Hotel staff/contractor that all audio equipment is safely stored during non-conference hours and returned after the conference.
5. The AV Team should consist of 2 – 2 man teams to allow appropriate coverage for events and breaks for AV team throughout the Event
District Web Team (optional chair)
• Constant Contact Team Lead: Responsible for creating and sending out timely email updates to District club members, and for keeping the email lists updated
Quality Events Chair
Acts as point of contact for the District Director and all committees.
Is a member of all subcommittees.
Resolves conflicts between subcommittees and Conference Committee members.
Interfaces with the hotel to negotiate execute all contractual requirements and solve all problems. Assists with all arrangements for the conference.
Ensures that the conference theme is used throughout the conference, including all publicity.
Under the direction of PQD assists with the smooth and timely running of every aspect of the conference, and for the efficient and timely operation of the Conference Committee.
In consultation with the PQD monitors and tracks Committee meetings and critical dates. Ensures Conference Chairs are on schedule with established milestones.
With Conference Chairs – Arranges a conference review meeting the week after the conference. Prepares a report for this meeting on how to improve future conferences, and encourages other facilitators to do the same