Speech Contests and District 26
The 2021 contests are Tall Tales and International Speech.
Speech Contests are one of the many ways toastmasters can grow and perfect both speaking and leadership skills. Contests are conducted in a safe, fair environment that encourages speaking and leadership growth.
Empower Your Speaking
Participating as a contestant in a contest can take your speaking skills up a notch and help you overcome some of those speaking fears. There are five types of Contests that require speakers:
- International Speech
- Table Topics
- Humorous Speech
- Tall Tales
There are additional roles at contests to practice your speaking:
- Chief Judge
- Sergeant at Arms
Online Speech Contest Best Practices
Links to International webinar recordings are provided below, along with additional resources to help you prepare
- Online Contests Powerpoint PDF by Jacqueline Smith
- Online Speech Contest Best Practices webinar recording
- Online Speech Contest Best Practices presentation slides
- Best Practices for Online Speech Contests
- Video Recording Guidelines for Online Speech Contests
- Virtual Timer Backgrounds
- Digital Speech Contest Certificates
Online Division Contests
See calendar page for more details and to register
Per Toastmasters International guidelines, the District has accepted the following:
Eight weeks prior to the area contest, if an area has four assigned clubs or fewer in good standing, districts have the option to allow two contestants from each club to compete in the area contest.
- Should additional clubs charter prior to the area contest, two contestants from each club are permitted to compete.
- In those divisions with four assigned areas or less, districts have the option to allow the two highest-placed available contestants from each area to compete. **applicable to Northern and Western Division only at this time**
All district-level speech contests are to be conducted only at the annual district conference. The decision to hold contests at the area and division level rests with the district executive committee. Contests must be conducted in the same manner for all areas and divisions within the district. For those districts that decide to conduct additional contests, those contests must originate at the club level and proceed through the area, division and district levels. To reiterate: district-level contests are only to be held during the annual district conference.