On July 22, 2020 I started a journey I call, ”90 Toastmasters Meetings in 90 days”. This post is the middle of my journey.
What is ”90 Toastmasters Meetings in 90 days”?
My goal to attend a Toastmasters meeting every day for 90 days. I started this simply to get better at speaking by practicing every day. The plan was to give a prepared speech, Table Topics speech, or serve in a speaking role. After a few weeks, I made my goal more ambiguous. During my 90-day journey, the new goal is to give a prepared speech in EVERY state.
Where are you on the journey and what have you accomplished?
Today is day 49 of 90. I gave a prepared speech 42 times in 32 states, 2 clubs in Canada, and once in London, England. Generally, I stuck to the same speech at these meetings: “W.I.N with Passion”. I have given this speech 41 times. This speech will continue to be the main speech for 2 reasons:
- The main reason for this journey was to practice giving a speech about passion and learning to slow down and pause, yet at the same time deliver the speech with passion; and
- This speech has impacted and inspired many people.
What unexpected lessons have you learned by practicing public speaking daily?
- That every speech matters. It is a gift for the audience, you never know who needs to hear your story or your message. Our own stories and passions can give hope and inspiration to others.
- There are many people that are willing help you along your journey if you let them.
- Clubs love visitors and really love to have guest speakers. Additionally, your visit and speech are a gift to the club you visit.
What is your call to action?
In Toastmasters we often hear people say they came to be a better speaker. Take advantage of our Zoom world and attend other clubs to get extra speech practice.